Sonia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open Source Sonia

+2
Plebb
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Open Source Sonia Empty Open Source Sonia

Post  Admin Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:15 am

I am considering making Sonia Open Source. What that means is I provide the entire server (as is) available to the public. Yes, this means that some people will start hosting their own versions of Sonia, but it also means that you can download the server, make changes to the map, edit the items etc, and submit it back to me.

If I like the changes, I may very well update the live server to your version of Sonia. Obviously, the most up-to-date version of Sonia will always be online and available for update.

I'm not 100% if I'll do this (hell, im not even 50%), but I wanted to see what you all thought. Please leave some good quality feedback.

Edit: I'm thinking that making the entire server open-source may hurt more than it helps, however making the map available to the public might be fun.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://sonia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Open Source Sonia Empty Re: Open Source Sonia

Post  Plebb Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:43 am

Don't make it open source. It will hurt more than it will benefit like you said.

Is there a copy paste function in the map editor you use? If so you should use that to edit new map parts to the current one.
I like playing advocate of the devil and players could:
- Hide good items at the map (don't think you will check every square and container in the entire map for it).
- Make an extremely difficult place to find and there they make an area designed for easy exp
- People can/delete certain pz squares to steal items, rob houses and gain advantage in pvp and pvm.
- Maybe they can add/remove content from their or other people's houses.

If two people design a new hunting ground which are both very good you could choose only one since they don't have each others hunting ground.

A map editor with copy paste function would be the solution since they can send you their designed map part and if you like it you can copy paste it and connect it to the rest of the map.
If someone says he/she wants to redesign a certain hunting place or extend it you could send him/her also just that map part. Once you found a trusted mapper in someone who helped multiple times a lot you could consider sending him/her the entire map to make it easier.
Most people would probably only try to make a new map part, but never finish it, do only one part or making a bad part. This way you prevent that every random person could obtain the map and use it for their server.

Edit:
Also doubt or there's any good scripter among the players. Publishing the source code without knowing or anyone could help wouldn't be wise.
If there are scripters they could also help with only part of the source code or without the source code at all I believe.
Plebb
Plebb

Back to top Go down

Post  Oney Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:04 am

Agreed with plebb lol,
Oney
Oney

Back to top Go down

Post  brice Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:46 am

I also agree with plebb, no good would come of this
brice
brice

Back to top Go down

Post  Adrian Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Probably a bad idea, but hell i'd dl it. Server does need a pro. mapper or two to keep things running tho.

Also hoping on being able to level by next update.
Adrian
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post  Plebb Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:51 am

Just found out the copy past function at Remere's map editor cheers

Ctrl + shift and then selecting the area you want to copy.
Arn probably already knew this and used it for making the endless tunnel.
Plebb
Plebb

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:14 am

Yes I knew about the copy and paste function in RME. It looks like Sonia won't be going open source.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://sonia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Avaji Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Admin wrote:I am considering making Sonia Open Source. What that means is I provide the entire server (as is) available to the public. Yes, this means that some people will start hosting their own versions of Sonia, but it also means that you can download the server, make changes to the map, edit the items etc, and submit it back to me.

If I like the changes, I may very well update the live server to your version of Sonia. Obviously, the most up-to-date version of Sonia will always be online and available for update.

I'm not 100% if I'll do this (hell, im not even 50%), but I wanted to see what you all thought. Please leave some good quality feedback.

Edit: I'm thinking that making the entire server open-source may hurt more than it helps, however making the map available to the public might be fun.

Bad bad idea.... I have a friend thats a good spriter/scripter/mapz

PM me to get hooked up .. I think he'll agree to some sprites or something... Usually ask him for help on scripts XD
Avaji
Avaji

Back to top Go down

Post  Amuseme Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:22 am

Bad Idea, dude just recruit some trust worthy people to help you.

scripters/Mappers, or just 1 or the other. Truthfully, i would say you don't need them as the work you do is accurate, i would say you do need testers and probably a test server. So people could test and look at the stuff you release to make sure it's properly done up, and corrected. Also yo make sure its worth putting in, eg Druid sanctuary, worst crap i ever saw imo, after all this time i still see no use for that spell.

I loved the first days of Sonia, it was so original, bringing back the old version of the game in the newer client. Even the way you mapped, you never put edges around the map because that's how it use to be back in the day xD
Play Sonia brung back nice memorys while playing it, but now as it gets more custom it's starting to stray from the greatness "I" thought it once was.
I came back afew days, and Plebbs was telling me about afew of the buggs that had happened, and some of the stuff he was telling me was some seriously game breaking stuff.

Amuseme

Back to top Go down

Post  Amuseme Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:24 am

Side note, don't make it custom client.

Amuseme

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down